[mythtv-users] HP MCE remote... same as MS MCE?

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Fri Sep 4 02:03:47 UTC 2009

On 09/03/2009 09:26 PM, Bill Williamson wrote:
> http://cgi.ebay.com.au/HP-MCE-KIT-REMOTE-CONTROL-USB-IR-RECEIVER-EMITTER-VISTA_W0QQitemZ140343285254QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Input_Peripherals?hash=item20ad1c9606&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ht_5645wt_902
>
> Is this device the same as the MCEUSB2 that everyone uses?  The remote
> doesn't match anything on the wiki, and it's branded HP.

That looks to be the first-gen transceiver. It does work though,
including transmit on port 2 now with current lirc cvs. I'm actually
booting my thinkpad into Windows to do some usb traffic snooping with my
own identical-looking transceiver to see if I can see what's necessary
to enable port 1 as well...

Only other caveat I'll note with these devices is that looping the
blaster back to the receiver and transmitting and running irw
simultaneously, the receiver fails to pick up many of the transmitted
signals when they're rapidly fired. Its as if the device can't both send
and receive at the same time, while the same works just fine with all
other mceusb transceivers.

Not typically going to be a problem in actual use though, only a small
window in where it might be a problem -- perhaps when trying to rapidly
change channels where you're sending signals to the receiver while its
trying to pass along signals to your cable box. But it seems transmit
has higher prio anyway, you'd just have to press buttons on the remote
again. All moot if you don't care about transmitting, of course.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com