[mythtv-users] What processor?

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 01:36:49 UTC 2009

On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 7:31 PM, Tom<listmail at athenet.net> wrote:
> For someone planning to build a myth box for the first time, what processor
> should one use, assuming one wants to built a fairly robust combination
> FE/BE with going significantly into the overkill range? I want to have
> plenty of horsepower for new developments in MythTV, but hey, I'm not going
> to play games on it that demand extreme overclocking and liquid cooling and
> dual $500 video cards.
>
> I have an HD HomeRun on order from the jungle bookseller, but still in the
> planning stages for the rest of it. I'm planning on using Mythdora. For the
> moment, I need s-video output to the TV, but later it will be HDMI when I
> join the real world and get a decent TV.

No complaints here on my system where I also use an HDHomerun.

Gigabyte AMD 770 Chipset
Athlon X2 2.7GHz (Kuma chip, only dual core w/ 1066MHz FSB at the
time, not sure about now).
2GB DDR2 1066MHz memory.
System drive 250GB (OS, Myth, database, music, videos, pictures)
Recording drive 500GB SATA2 formatted to EXT4.
Asus (Fanless) 8400GS w/ 512MB ram PCI-E.

With that card (assuming VDPAU) it can do Advanced 2X deinterlacing on
SD content and Temporal 2X on HD content. Looks great on my 32" LCD
which has 1366x768 native resolution over VGA.

Richard