[mythtv-users] How to stop recording without delete

bhaskins at chartermi.net bhaskins at chartermi.net
Thu Sep 3 21:43:12 UTC 2009

---- Robin Gilks <g8ecj at gilks.org> wrote:

> > I have tried to find something in the docs on this and have really hoped
> > that some one else would as this.
> > Is there anyway to stop a program that is recording with out deleting it?
> > Thanks,
> >   Bert
>
> In the Watch Recording screen, there is an extra option under the Info
> button (default keybinging 'I')  when the highlighted item is recording
> which allows you to stop it.
>
> --
> Robin Gilks

On my system, this does stop the recording, but it deletes that which has been recorded.
I really want to save the part that is already recorded.
I.e, on a one hour show I would like to stop the recording, say after ten minutes and
still keep the ten minutes.
On of my reasons for wanting this is that several of the channels that I get from the DCH3200
box using FireWire end up going only into the bit bucket.
I don't like doing a long capture and finding nothing except a listing.

You can watch the program, all listings say that it is being recorded, I can hear the
hard drive doing it's thing and yet there in nothing in the /var/lib/mythtv/recordings directory
after it's done.
As soon as I hit "watch recordings" the hard drive starts sounding as if it's recording something,
the "recorded" program is shown in medium intensity and I get "the file for this program cannot
be found" if I try to select it.
It seems as though the HDMI output is fine but the FireWire output is dead.
If I accidentally try to record a "unauthorized" channel, the backend crashes and must be killed
and restarted.
This seems to be a somewhat common problem on these STBs.
Some channels do record though and are of very high quality.