[mythtv-users] Fedora 11 High Disk Activity

Mache Creeger mache at creeger.com
Thu Sep 3 04:12:17 UTC 2009

I wanted to share a story with a happy ending.

I did a fresh install of a myth client with Fedora 11 and when I was
all done noticed the disk light stayed constantly on. Fearing that I
would burn out the client's laptop drive, I went looking for the
source of the problem. Fedora 11 installs with ext4 as its default
for file partitions and I had chosen to avoid being an ext4 guinea
pig and instead went with tried and true ext3.

With my choice of ext3, I inadvertently engaged Fedora 11's kjournald
daemon that journals every ext3 disk access. The stock mythbackend
service launches with logging turned on and eliminating the logging
option from the command line in the /etc/rc.d/init.d/mythbackend file
solved the problem.

-- Mache