[mythtv-users] Virtualisation in the home network -- ready for mainstream?

Bill Williamson bill at bbqninja.com
Wed Sep 2 23:23:36 UTC 2009

On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 6:08 AM, Raymond Wagner<raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:
> Step back, and think about what you actually want.  Do you just want
> these services in a separate file space for easier management?  Do you
> want these services partitioned off from the rest of the system for
> security and stability?  Do you want to be able to migrate these images
> between different hardware (while live?)?  Do you want to run these
> services on a different OS (or kernel version)?

I am not the OP, and I think his list of virtualized stuff is a bit
silly (why would you virtualize monowall, when it means packets are
already in your network and on your machine before hitting your
firewall????), but there are some very good specific uses for
virtualization (although with xen it works great with pci sharing...).

1. If you're a developer.  Switching between stable and unstable myth
backends can be a chore otherwise.

2. If you want to be able to run turnkey distributions for "services"
(mythbuntu for your myth backend, "asterisk at home" for voip, etc)
but don't have enough machines (but do have 1 large backend)

3. Carrying on from #2, if you've gone virtual it can be easy to
migrate (NOT live migrate!) if you buy another machine.