[mythtv-users] OT: Recommendation on Nvidia Card

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 16:23:45 UTC 2009

On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 8:55 AM, Daniel Kristjansson<danielk at cuymedia.net> wrote:
> The 5200 is not a bad card if you are just using it for the YUV->RGB
> conversion. But I don't know how well the PCI version would handle
> HDTV, the AGP version handles it.

Some time ago, I tried a PCI version of an 8400 card, without VDPAU,
on a 1366x768 at 60Hz display.  The results were disastrous, with lots of
stuttering and a formidable CPU maxed out.  If you do the
calculations, it appears that the PCI bus bandwidth needed for sending
the bits to the card was a lot more than the maximum.  The card did
just fine with VDPAU, as well as for an SD-resolution display.

Jim