[mythtv-users] Virtualisation in the home network – ready for mainstream?

Greg Woods greg at gregandeva.net
Wed Sep 2 15:49:48 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-09-02 at 09:26 -0400, Jarod Wilson wrote:

> WMware doesn't really give a damn about you unless you're running an
> Enterprise linux distribution.

Yes, I am painfully aware of that now. I just wish I had known that
before shelling out the money for VMware Workstation. But that was
several years ago, and I probably don't really need VMware any more, as
there are a number of free alternatives now. But I tried to give it a
whirl since I already have it.

> Are you sure you're actually running KVM and not just qemu on that
> Pentium 4 system?

How can I tell? Is there a way to force it to use KVM, or perhaps KVM
requires hardware support that is there with the Core 2 but not the
Pentium 4? That is what I suspect is going on.

> If VMware kernel modules don't build and KVM is painfully slow,
> consider trying VirtualBox.

Several people have suggested that, so I'll look into it.

--Greg