[mythtv-users] MythBuntu 9.04 Upgrade - Now Dependency Problems

Greg Hermsen g.hermy15 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 04:34:29 UTC 2009

On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 9:48 AM, Johnny <jarpublic at gmail.com> wrote:

> > OK, here's a dumb question.  How dow I check my repositories?  How do I
> know
> > if they're the right repositories?  If they're not, how do I disable or
> > delete and add the correct repositories?
>
> In Mythbuntu you go to your menu and choose System -> Software
> Sources. On the "Ubuntu Software" tab make sure that you have the
> restricted, universe, and multiverse repositories enabled. Next you
> want to look at the "Third-Party Software" tab. This is where the
> mythbuntu repositories should be. If there is a check by them then
> they are enabled. You should click edit and make sure the distribution
> is set to 'jaunty'. A safer way if you aren't sure might be to go
> ahead and remove anything that you aren't sure you need from here,
> including any old mythbuntu references. Then go to
> http://mythbuntu.org/auto-builds and download the mythbuntu package
> that will setup your repositories for you. You will just have to
> choose which branch you want (e.g. .21-fixes). When that is done you
> can go back into your software sources and you will see that the
> proper entry for mythbuntu should be present in your third-party tab.
>
> You can do all of this manually by editing /etc/apt/sources.list and
> the files in /etc/apt/sources.list.d. If somebody gives you an apt
> repository line that start with "deb" then this is where you would
> paste that. After your sources are in order you need to update your
> repositories like this:
>
> sudo aptitude update
>
> Then you can try a safe upgrade:
>
> sudo aptitude safe-upgrade
>
> I use aptitude rather than apt-get in situations like this because it
> tends to give a little more information about what is going on and
> does more to try and solve conflicts.
>
> > Additionally, I hope my existing MythTV recordings and configuration will
> be
> > recognized when I get things up an running.  If I reinstall mythtv
> database,
> > will my previous data be wiped out?
>
> You should always have a backup of your database before doing any
> upgrade like this. I have my database backed up daily. Having said
> that you should have no problem reinstalling mythtv-database. It will
> just use what is already there, and doesn't wipe things clean on each
> reinstall.

Johnny,

Thanks for the great detailed help.  You're a lifesaver.  I have Mythbuntu
installed and the database is intact.

I think I'm about 90% complete with my upgrade.  I have one last (I hope)
problem.  When I boot and MythTV starts up, I see the theme background but
no pictures or menu text.  If I hit enter, I go into Live TV viewing.  I'm
not able to get any menus however.

Thanks,
Greg