[mythtv-users] OT: Recommendation on Nvidia Card

Greg Hermsen g.hermy15 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 02:18:59 UTC 2009

On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 9:57 PM, Greg Hermsen <g.hermy15 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 9:50 PM, Johnny <jarpublic at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> > This is not the type of cable you can plug to any svhs connector and
>> > expect to get the proper output, it only work with the card using
>> > those specific connector: typically the same video card
>>
>> I am able to use a regular S-video cable straight out of my 8400GS. It
>> goes in the same DIN connector that the component output connects to.
>> So there certainly are many of the 8xxx cards that support this type
>> of connection.
>>

> The driver is recognizing the card now.  I tried numerous things to fix my
> problem...upgrading...uninstalling driver and reinstalling driver through
> envy, synaptic and download and recompile from ATI/Nvidia directly.
>
> Through multiple gyrations, I had a couple times where the proprietary
> drivers listed the driver as in use, but I was stuck in low graphics mode.
> I have the system truly using the driver now, so I don't want to mess with
> it too much.
>
> I'm going to shut down and carry my computer to a different TV that has an
> Svideo input and see if will boot up and display with a direct (no
> svideo-to-composite adapter) connection.
>
> I'll post the result.

SOLVED: 8600 svideo problem

I did a little experiment last night.  I moved the computer to a TV with an
Svideo input and the 8600GT svideo/tv out worked fine.  sonofzev stated that
the pin configurations on the 8600 might be different than the FX5200.  I
think that is the case and I think that's why the svideo-to-composite
adapter worked on the FX5200 but not on the 8600GT.  I found this on EVGA's
(8600 manufacturer) web site:

http://www.evga.com/support/faq/?f=58435

Question / Issue
Does my video card support s-video to component/rf modulator?

Answer / Solution
EVGA graphics cards that have a 7 pin HDTV connection support HDTV through
the 3 wire component breakout cable and SVideo through directly connected to
the port on the card.  No RF Modulators or SVideo to Composite cable are
supported.

Thank you everybody who helped me with this.

Greg