[mythtv-users] PS3 and Mythtv

Ken Taylor ken at onramp.com.au
Wed Sep 2 01:43:41 UTC 2009

On 02/09/2009, at 5:02 AM, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> On Sep 1, 2009, at 4:50 PM, greg wrote:
>> I have my PS3 hooked up through my lan. I can see the myth server
>> and can play my recordings..The one problem i have is no
>> audio..Would anyone have any idea why?
>>
>> The PS3 is run through HDMI if it makes any difference..
>> Any suggestions or remedies?

Just as a data point, mine works fine, too - as another poster
commented, make sure you have the PS3 set up to push the audio via the
HDMI and not via the optical port.

The only problem I have with Myth and the PS3 is local Channel 10 High
Def won't play, but that's to do with the MPEG format they use - All
the SD channels work perfectly.

>  I recall correctly, the PS3 fails to play any digital audio unless
> its in a local file on the PS3, so you either have to transfer files
> to it, or transcode them to have analog stereo audio instead.

No - Although I haven't streamed audio from Myth, I can happily play
audio over the wire from my MacOS Server running Nullriver Medialink,
it presents my iTunes library and the PS3 plays them fine (except the
few with DRM, obviously).

Ken