[mythtv-users] Transcoding/editing recordings to 720p/AC3

auric auric at aanet.com.au
Tue Sep 1 22:09:25 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-09-01 at 04:31 +0000, mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org
wrote:
> Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 21:31:00 -0700
> From: "Bob Sully" <rcs at malibyte.net>
> Subject: [mythtv-users] Transcoding/editing recordings to 720p/AC3
> 	.mkv/.avi	format
> To: "Mythtv users' list" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
>
> Hi all -
>
> I've been having problems trying to transcode recordings.

> (1) Regular Myth recordings.  Currently, I do NOT have auto-transcoding
> enabled, but I do have commflagging set.  I still have to edit and set up
> a precise cutlist - after which I wind up with an .mpg file (no longer
> .nuv).  Mythtranscode wants to do DVD-resolution and .ps files - neither
> of those are what I'm looking for.  Problem is, nothing else knows about
> the cutlist, so I have to do the same edits in avidemux - which does a
> great job with the video but b0rks the audio completely (for example, it
> usually cuts video correctly but doesn't always edit out the corresponding
> audio, so when I do get audio at all after the save, it's out of sync - or
> I get pops and hums, and that's all the sound I get).  I think I must have
> the wrong output settings (currently using x264/AC3/MKV - please tell me
> if these are wrong).  Can Mythnuv2mkv handle an .mpg with a cutlist as the
> input file?  If so, what are the command-line options I need to use?

Mythnuv2mkv will always use the cutlist if it exists, so no options
required.
It may not (probably won't) retain the 5.1 audio. Mythnuv2mkv uses
mythtranscode to get the video/audio and this currently always selects
the first audio track. So if first track is the 2 channel track then
output only 2 channel.
> Can anyone please enlighten me/send me a pointer?
>
> Thanks in advance!
> Bob

Auric