[mythtv-users] 1212 and channel changing

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Tue Sep 1 13:30:13 UTC 2009

On Sep 1, 2009, at 8:52 AM, Norm Dressler wrote:

> Jarod Wilson wrote:
>> On Monday 31 August 2009 22:40:51 Jarod Wilson wrote:
>> [...hdpvr...]
>>
>>> Just committed a patch that make IR reception behave correctly for
>>> me:
>>>
>>> http://git.wilsonet.com/linux-2.6-lirc.git/?a=commitdiff;h=563c28f1e6725c9039c9a0df0b3d5f2161cf38ca
>>>
>>> So now I've moved on to blasting. It actually pretty much Just Works
>>> right off the bat, once you grab the appropriate blasting lirc
>>> config
>>> file from here:
>>>
>>> http://www.blushingpenguin.com/mark/blog/?p=24
>>>
>>> (specifically, http://www.blushingpenguin.com/mark/lmilk/
>>> lircd.conf )
>>>
>>> Well, it blasts anyway, and the commands are being picked up.
>>> However,
>>> irsend still thinks it failed to send. The driver is a fault here,
>>> its
>>> saying it failed after two tries, when in fact, it was successful
>>> both
>>> times. I'm using an mceusb receiver to pick up the transmitted
>>> commands
>>> and it picks up two transmissions of everything, but they're at
>>> least
>>> the *correct* signals. Just need to fix up the driver so it doesn't
>>> think its failed.
>>>

>> ...and now blasting is also working quite nicely for me.
>>
>> http://git.wilsonet.com/linux-2.6-lirc.git/?a=commitdiff;h=f50dd6022ab7cb268aaa662738c21a95dcd8cb57
>>
>> Only thing really left to fix is the hang when trying to unload the
>> lirc_zilog driver, but that's probably not particularly relevant to
>> most folks.
>>

> Jarod, do you have some quick steps that we can take to check out
> your hard work?  I for one would like to reduce the amount of
> hardware so if I can get rid of my IR receiver then great.

So how quick one can throw something together to test this depends on
several factors. If you're running Fedora 11, there's a binary kernel
package sitting in the Fedora build system that has all the necessary
bits included. If you're running an upstream-ish 2.6.31-rc kernel, the
bits in my git tree will build and *hopefully* work, but I've not
actually tested them there. I did most of my debugging and testing on
a 2.6.30 kernel, which is built using the lirc bits from my git tree,
with the 2.6.31-specific i2c changes backed out. Oh, and this also
requires some minor patching of the hdpvr driver, regardless of kernel
version at the moment.

Long story short, Fedora users can simply install the kernel here:

http://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/packages/kernel/2.6.30.5/45.fc11/

Then slap the firmware image and lircd.conf from blushingpenguin in /
lib/firmware and /etc respectively, and go to town.

Other distros, particularly those with kernels earlier than 2.6.30...
Well, you've got some work ahead of you, since I don't know what form
of hdpvr driver or lirc drivers are already present... For 2.6.30, the
three patches here are what are included in the Fedora kernel build I
did:

http://wilsonet.com/jarod/junk/hdpvr-ir/

--
Jarod Wilson