[mythtv-users] (US) Dump Comcast for a dish, good Mythtv decision?

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Tue Sep 1 13:15:58 UTC 2009

On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 09:05:53PM -0400, Craig Treleaven wrote:
> At 5:33 PM -0500 8/31/09, Dave Richardson wrote:
> > >>>

> >> I would also consider this.  Comcast had a competitive advantage
> >> because they didn't require boxes.  If they require boxes, they no
> >> longer have that advantage, so I'll need to do an analysis of
> >> cost/benefit on the new playing field.  I just did a quick comparison
> >> with directv, and on a cost basis, directv wins.
> >
> >That hits the nail on the head!  If a dish (DirecTV) and Comcast (digital
> >or otherwise requiring STBs) are now (soon) becoming functionally
> >identical in terms of what Myth must do to control the STB and capture
> >content, then a choice in provider becomes principally a financial
> >decision (which is a delicious irony to me).
> >

> Another option, just to muddy the waters further, is over-the-air broadcast
> TV; possibly supplemented by streamed content.  Digital OTA is way easier to

Actually, an HDHR being fed by an antenna is a very nice supplement to cable
if you can get good signal. If there's anything you watch off of broadcast
(Heroes, Lost, Supernatural, sports) then you can record those things on the
other 2 tuners and leave your cable tuner(s) for things that are cable only.

Plus you get a better picture.