[mythtv-users] OT: Recommendation on Nvidia Card

Johnny jarpublic at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 02:46:26 UTC 2009

> I thought of one other thing that I don't believe should cause a
> problem...but I'll throw it out there.  The svideo out on the card goes
> directly into an svideo-to-composite adapter.  I have a composite cable
> going from the other side of the adapter to the TV.  Does the 8600 need a
> direct svideo (card) to svideo (TV) connection?  I used the same
> svideo-to-compsite converter with the previous FX5200 AGP card.  That worked
> without a problem.

This could definitely be the problem. I have had problems with some
s-video to composite cables that looked like what you described, with
scrolling during boot up etc. Make sure you have it set to output the
right type of signal. For me in the US I used:

    Option         "UseDisplayDevice" "TV"
    Option         "TVOutFormat" "SVIDEO"
    Option         "TVStandard" "NTSC-M"

Also it sounds like the nvidia driver is not actually loading. I
recall from one of your other posts that you said you could see the
low graphics mode coming up. That comes up when the specified driver
doesn't load for some reason.

I ended up just selling  my TV on Craigslist for $30 and then I bought
a way nicer one with an S-video input for $50. I would highly
recommend picking up a used TV with s-video. The picture quality is
significantly better than with composite, and tons of people are
getting rid of old TVs that they replaced with HD sets.