[mythtv-users] Does video card brand matter? VDPAU

Bruce Nordstrand brucen at ksl.com.au
Thu Oct 29 22:50:57 UTC 2009

On 30/10/09 2:18 AM, "Brian Wood" <beww at beww.org> wrote:

> On Thursday 29 October 2009 09:02:24 Bruce Nordstrand wrote:
>

>> I thought bios maybe but haven't had a chance to upgrade it yet. It is a 3
>> year old MB so it wouldn't surprise me that it didn't support one of the
>> latest video cards. For reference it is a Gigabyte GA-8I945GZME-RH. It did
>> boot normally with an 8600GT in it though.....
>
> I always try to keep up with the latest BIOS on my motherboards.
>
> Though Supermicro has some good advice regarding updating mobo BIOS, "If you
> are not having any problems, do not upgrade". That shows a lot of faith in
> their upgrades.
>
> Is the card PCIe 2.0? If so, does your mobo support that?
I'm going to try to upgrade the bios this morning before heading off. I have
F7 bios onboard currently and the latest is F10. I usually hate doing bios
updates due to the fear of bricking the board, that definitely would be WAF
counterproductive :)

The 220 "supports" PCIe 2.0 but no direct support for PCIe 2.0 on this
m/board, it just lists a PCIe x16 @ x4 mode as the spec. the board I am
typing this on lists 1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x16 (The PCI
Express x16 slot conforms to PCI Express 2.0 standard) which may explain a
few things. I might whack it in another machine with an ASUS P5K board to
see what happens, it's a couple of years old too and no conformance to PCIe
2.0....

>> The GT220's don't have any extra power connectors, the motherboard has one
>> of the 4 pin Molex's  and I has that plugged in. The GT220 is one of these:
>>
>> http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gt-220,2445-3.html
>
> The problem is that in a week or 2 these will probably be obsolete.
As long as it performs better than the 256Mb FX5500 I currently have in this
machine I'll be happy

Cheers
Bruce