[mythtv-users] Does video card brand matter? VDPAU

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Oct 29 21:28:46 UTC 2009

On Thursday 29 October 2009 14:59:12 Nick Rout wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 4:21 AM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> > On Thursday 29 October 2009 09:13:07 aaron wrote:

> >> OMG! Look at the size of that fan!
> >
> > I noticed that. I wonder if it's made by Rolls Royce or General Electric.
> >
> > I wonder how much of that fan is marketing. Some segments of the GPU
> > market seem to like huge noisy devices. This card will not sell well with
> > gamers, since it lacks the mandatory scantilly-clad woman on the
> > packaging.
>
> Funny you should say that, 2 dungeons and dragons books just arrived
> from Amazon for my son's birthday, both with scantily clad (elf) women
> on the cover.

Most fans of such games are adolescent males, and the makers know full well
what appeals to them.

What the adolescent boys do not realize is that most adolescent females are
not impressed by video game prowess.

I've always thought such marketing was funny, but I suppose it's effective
since they continue to do it.

nVidia often uses scantilly-clad females on their GeForce series of cards,
but, interestingly, they never use such images on the Quadro series. I think
there is some sort of lesson there.

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org