[mythtv-users] Does video card brand matter? VDPAU

Bruce Nordstrand brucen at ksl.com.au
Thu Oct 29 15:02:24 UTC 2009

On 30/10/09 1:51 AM, "Brian Wood" <beww at beww.org> wrote:

> On Thursday 29 October 2009 08:39:21 Bruce Nordstrand wrote:
>> On 29/10/09 1:44 AM, "Bruce Nordstrand" <brucen at ksl.com.au> wrote:
>>> I see my supplier has GT220's for $8.00 more then I paid for the Gigabyte
>>> card so I might grab one of those instead. From what I have read they are
>>> pretty good for what I want one to do...
>>
>> Well I did get a GT220, a Gigabyte GT220 DDR3 1GB card to be exact. Haven't
>> had a chance to try it out as it looks like the motherboard I have in the
>> machine can't support it! DOH!
>>
>> Firing it up gives me the slowest CMOS boot screen I have ever seen, it's
>> like someone is writing each letter. The card works way better in the
>> machine I am typing this on so it's back to the shop to get a later model
>> motherboard. The things we do to record and playback TV programs......
>
> I wonder what the problem is, possibly a lack of sufficient DC power?
>
> Does the card have an "extra" power connector? Some graphics boards have a
> standard 4-pin Molex power connector. Make sure this is connected if you have
> one.
I thought bios maybe but haven't had a chance to upgrade it yet. It is a 3
year old MB so it wouldn't surprise me that it didn't support one of the
latest video cards. For reference it is a Gigabyte GA-8I945GZME-RH. It did
boot normally with an 8600GT in it though.....

The GT220's don't have any extra power connectors, the motherboard has one
of the 4 pin Molex's  and I has that plugged in. The GT220 is one of these:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gt-220,2445-3.html

Cheers
Bruce