[mythtv-users] 0.22 The .iso / Storage groups problem

Fred Squires fsquires at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 13:04:48 UTC 2009

On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 4:44 AM, Marius Schrecker <marius at schrecker.org> wrote:
>  Hi,
>
> I have one particular set of dvd iso's with a little problem. I tried
> transcoding them but there was a problem as the chapters didn't fit the
> individual episodes of the series correctly, and I always got big
> audio/video sync issues when I tried. My other DVD's I have transcoded to
> H264/mkv using ogmrip, which I'm very pleased with as I save lots of disk
> space. In the end I gave up on this particular series and just left them as
> iso's, using the dvd menus to navigate the episodes.
>
> I've seen the posts about makemkv, but obviously this doesn't fit my problem
> very well as I can't preserve menus. It seems I'm left with little choice
> but to not-implement storage groups for my videos directory.
>
> The question is which storage groups NEED to be in place for live tv to
> function correctly, and which should be removed, and just specified on the
> individual frontends? I'm quite happy continuing to use nfs for my other
> frontends to playback movies.
>
> The reason I ask, is that I tried removing storage groups after discovering
> the problem, and ended up with the iso still failing to load, and problem s
> with the livetv buffer as well. Ended up doing a complete purge of mythtv
> and database, and reinstall.

You should leave the storage groups alone. Storage groups and local
directories for mythvideo can be used at the same time. See:

This way you can put your normal videos in the storage group
directory, and put your iso's in a folder that's shared over nfs and
it can be setup the same way it always has been. Or you could put all
your videos in the NFS mount. Just make sure you mount the nfs share
in a different place than the storage group is mounted on the backend.