[mythtv-users] "Hybrid SLI"? Would it help Myth?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Oct 29 01:19:29 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 28 October 2009 18:30:24 Russ Van Winkle wrote:
> > Doers anyone know anything pertinent about this "Hybrid SLI" or should I
> > just ignore it and use this as a standard motherboard?
>
> While SLI between discrete video cards is supposed to work in Linux,
> from what I've been able to determine, Hybrid SLI is Windows-only -
> and Vista or later at that.  The Wikipedia page for SLI, in the Hybrid
> SLI section, states "Current Linux support of this feature is not
> complete but relevant information can be found in the Linux Hybrid
> Graphics page" - and then links to a page that has been deleted.
>
> If this were my system, I'd try the onboard graphics first, then
> perhaps upgrade using the PCIe slot.  The GT220 chipset discussed
> recently might be the ticket.

I had heard of some work to get SLI working with Linux, but I think that was
more in the area of gaming graphics and not so much video display work, or so
it seemed, I don't keep up with the latest gamer graphics setups.

I had assumed I would go buy a GT220, but I have an 8400 and I wondered if it
might be used in conjunction with the 8200 on-board to render HD using VDPAU.
It seems to be an either or situation as far as what will work.

References to SLI working or not working may or may not be relevant to VDPAU,
and it sounds like the hybrid SLI is not worth my time to fool around with if
I know the GT220 will work.

OTOH, if anything ever comes of the "double-secret" video decoding solution, I
may go in a completely different direction for a new frontend,

Thanks for your input.

It's an odd motherboard, it's definitely a socket AM2+ but it has "Socket 940"
clearly silk screened on the board. Odd. I'm not sure how I'd get an Opteron
into that socket :-)

Maybe that's why I got it cheap, but it seems to work well.

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org