[mythtv-users] "Hybrid SLI"? Would it help Myth?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Oct 28 23:22:07 UTC 2009

I just acquired an Asus M3N78-VM motherboard that has an nVidia 8200 GPU on
board. It also has a PCIExpress X16 slot.

The docs say the board supports "Hybrid SLI", which seems to be some way in
which both the on-board 8200 and a standalone graphics card can work together
in some way.

I'm wondering if this means that a lower-end VDPAU-capable PCIExpress card
would be able to utilize the more complex de-interlacers, with the assistance
of the 8200.

I've never paid any attention to SLI, it seemed to me to be some sort of gamer
thing, and, up till now, nothing that might interest a Myth user.

The mobo is nice, having SPDIF and HDMI, so it has the potential for a nice
F/E, but if I can save a little on the PCIExpress video card and still use
the advanced de-interlacers it would be nice.

The other interesting feature of this mobo, "Express Gate", which seems to be
a 5 second boot into something that will support a browser, seems to require
Windows, something I will not do.

Doers anyone know anything pertinent about this "Hybrid SLI" or should I just
ignore it and use this as a standard motherboard?

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org