[mythtv-users] Recommendations for satellite card - europe

Stephen Robertson stephengrobertson at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 15:15:08 UTC 2009

> Hi
> I have been considering satellite for some time and the time maybe now. O am being pestered for sinta klass and christmas lists!
> So looking for a satellite card for freesat in the uk and possibly other sat signals (otherhalf is dutch).
> Would prefer single dual tuner card but can't find one. Prefer ones that will do dvb-s and s2.
> Looking to use this with a static dish.
> Rich
> Suggestions
> Rich
> Please excuse brevity and mistakes, this email was composed on a mobile phone.
> Thanks and regards,
> Richard Morton
>
> I have good experience with Hauppauge HVR-4000. Got three of them, two in my production MythTV box (DVB-S) and one in a test MythTv box (DVB-S2). This card also do DVB-T and analog TV/FM radio.
>
> The Hauppauge NOVA-HD-S2 has the same DVB-S/DVB-S2 hardware as the HVR-4000 but not DVB-T or analog input.
>
> Both cards are supported by 2.6.28 kernels and newer, or by resent v4l-dvb drivers.

I've been having the same thoughts as Richard (Also in the UK for
Freesat)  As well as the cards mentioned I've also see the TechnoTrend
Budget S2-1600 (http://www.dvbshop.net/product_info.php/info/p2212_TechnoTrend-Budget-S2-1600-HDTV-PCI---TT-Viewer.html)
which is quite a bit cheaper but initial support only seems to have
been added to in kernel 2.6.31 so feels a bit new!  Does anyone have
any experience of this card?