[mythtv-users] The "right" way for non-dev users to test 0.22 RC1?

Bob Cunningham FlyMyPG at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 05:05:39 UTC 2009

OK, top-posting again because of all-new status.

- Install OK (from rpmfusion-updates-testing on 32-bit F11)
- Configuration OK (including XMLTV load for QAM SD, and channel scan for QAM HD)
- mythfilldatabase OK
- MythMusic OK
- MythWeb OK (still need to clean up channel mapping and tweak other settings)

But I can't watch LiveTV!   My HVR-950Q still works fine with tvtime and xine.

The output from mythfrontend is:

2009-10-27 16:40:12.573 TV: Attempting to change from None to Watching WatchingLiveTV
2009-10-27 16:40:12.578 MythContext: Connecting to backend server: 127.0.0.1:6543 (try 1 of 1)
2009-10-27 16:40:12.579 Using protocol version 50
2009-10-27 16:40:12.582 Spawning LiveTV Recorder -- begin
2009-10-27 16:40:19.586 MythSocket(887ddd8:40): readStringList: Error, timed out after 7000 ms.
2009-10-27 16:40:19.587 RemoteEncoder::SendReceiveStringList(): No response.
2009-10-27 16:40:19.587 Spawning LiveTV Recorder -- end
2009-10-27 16:40:19.587 GetEntryAt(-1) failed.
2009-10-27 16:40:19.589 EntryToProgram(0 at Wed Dec 31 16:00:00 1969) failed to get pginfo
2009-10-27 16:40:19.589 TV Error: HandleStateChange(): LiveTV not successfully started
2009-10-27 16:40:19.589 We have a RingBuffer
2009-10-27 16:40:19.639 TV Error: LiveTV not successfully started

/var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log contains no errors or warnings.

Since I'm using a HVR-950Q, and since the HD channel scan worked fine, my guess is the problem may be the slow firmware load, which takes about 8 seconds.  The driver seems to reload the firmware at every possible opportunity, independent of the hardware state, each time either the SD or HD device is opened, such as when changing from an SD channel on /dev/video0 to an HD channel on /dev/dvb/adapter0.  So this delay will happen a lot.

Any way to have the frontend be a bit more patient?  Or can I tell the driver to ease up on the firmware reloads?

-BobC