[mythtv-users] SheevaPlug for a master Backend?

Gene Stapp genestapp at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 21:54:35 UTC 2009

On Monday 26 October 2009 13:52:10 Matthew Harrison wrote:

>> What about an OpenRD base?
>>
>> http://www.globalscaletechnologies.com/p-20-openrd-base.aspx
>>
>> It's the same chip as the SheevaPlug, but includes 2 native SATA lanes
>> (no USB bandwidth limits) and a PCIe socket.
>
>Certainly seems to have potential, a SATA drive or two, and a PCIe X1
tuner,
>and you might have something.
>
>Thanks for the info.

The OpenRD is intriguing to me as a NAS. If it's like the sheevaplug it
would only pull about 10 watts of power or so. The pci-e 1x slot would allow
for a nice SIL sata card for port multiplication. Also it appears some
versions of the marvel chip's sata/esata ports also support port
multipliers. That would allow a total of 4 port mlutipliers and about 20
sata 2 drives to be connected. I wonder how it would handle
opensolaris/nexenta and zfs. I know zfs is hardware intensive and the lack
of a good floating point processor could be an issue, but I can't find any
documentation on it. Anyone know?

I'd rather go with an ion 330, but they don't have any pci-e slots available
and pci is pretty limited in speeds. This seems like it could be a valid
alternative possibly