[mythtv-users] What is a "partial lock" ( FireWire )

William william_munson at comcast.net
Mon Oct 26 22:58:56 UTC 2009

bhaskins at chartermi.net wrote:
> I see this quite often when selecting channels.
> Is there any hope that this means that it is somewhere near
> the ballpark or is the signal just not there?
> Overall  I am quite disappointed with my DCH3200/3416 FireWire
> setup.
> I had rented a second STB, hoping to use it with myth but
> I ended up with so little added value that I returned it.
> Thanks,
>    Bert

Partial lock means that the channel is not available in the clear or
that someone has decided that the channel should not be available thru
the firewire port. They usually use the excuse that the station
affiliate has requested it and if you check with the station mananger of
that affiliate you will find that they are extremely interested in the
fact that a number of their potential customers cannot watch the
commercials that pay their checks because the cable company wants to
play monopoly. Unfortunately, there is precious little we can do here in
the usa, land owned by the mega-corps. Maybe Lord Obama can appoint
another czar to "study" this industry too. [Heavy Sarcasm intended]

William