[mythtv-users] Master backend and slave be/fe shutdown problem

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Mon Oct 26 17:36:19 UTC 2009

* On Mon Oct 26, 2009 at 11:56:41AM +0100, Ma Begaj wrote:
> 009/10/26 Chris Pinkham <cpinkham at bc2va.org>:
> It would be pretty easy if master backend would send GO_TO_SLEEP every
> few minutes while slave is online. But it just sends it once (usually
> already on boot) and that's it. If it would send it every few minutes
> my current SleepCommand script could finish the job pretty easy:

This is pretty much what I'm talking about.  Right now the master puts
the slave in a sStatus_FallingAsleep state when the slave is told to
go to sleep.  The master assumes the slave is going to sleep.  The
slave needs to send back an error status if possible to tell the master
when the slave could not go to sleep.  Then the master would keep retrying
every 5 minutes to put the slave to sleep.  When a slave disconnects and
is in a sStatus_FallingAsleep state, the state chagnes to sStatus_Asleep.
The master also needs to check for slaves that have not transitioned to
sStatus_Asleep after X number of minutes and change them back to
sStatus_Awake after pinging them across the Myth protocol to verify that
they are still awake.

In your case, your shutdown script would return an error code, the
slave would tell the master than it can't go to sleep, and the master
would keep trying to put the slave to sleep every 5 minutes until either
the slave went to sleep or the slave was needed for a new recording.

> Thanks for developing this. I would suggest to make mythtv-setup more
> simple. It is confusing to be able to change some of the master
> backend settings when running mythtv-setup on the slave backend
> system.

That's the way it is currently.  When we rewrite the setup in MythUI,
that will hopefully be resolved.

--
Chris