[mythtv-users] How do I get a firewire GUID to show up in mythtv-setup

Don Brett dlbrett at zoominternet.net
Mon Oct 26 01:33:08 UTC 2009

Don Brett wrote:
> Jarod Wilson wrote:

>>> On all of mine, the GUID comes from the STB which must be
>>> on and connected at the time that you select the capture card.
>>> and there are two drivers shown by lsmod.
>>> The capture card page should be filled up as soon as you
>>> select FireWire.
>>
>> Yep, dmesg only shows fw0 present on the bus, and that would be the
>> controller itself. The cable box isn't seen at all. As suggested, the
>> cable box needs to be on. If you still don't get an fw1, then the
>> firewire port on your cable box might not actually be active.
>>
> OK, that's probably it, I don't actually have the stb yet.  I tried
> using a sony video camera as a source (playing a tape while booting
> up), which got a little further:
>
> [root at localhost etc]# dmesg | grep firewire
> firewire_ohci 0000:01:07.0: PCI INT A -> Link[LNKB] -> GSI 18 (level,
> low) -> IRQ 18
> firewire_ohci: Added fw-ohci device 0000:01:07.0, OHCI version 1.0
> firewire_ohci: node ID not valid, new bus reset in progress
> firewire_core: created device fw0: GUID 00308d0120435263, S400
> firewire_core: created device fw1: GUID 0800460102903420, S100
> firewire_core: phy config: card 0, new root=ffc1, gap_count=5
> firewire_ohci: node ID not valid, new bus reset in progress
> firewire_core: skipped bus generations, destroying all nodes
> firewire_core: created device fw0: GUID 00308d0120435263, S400
> firewire_core: created device fw1: GUID 0800460102903420, S100
> [root at localhost etc]#
>

> [root at localhost etc]# plugreport
> Host Adapter 0
> ==============
>
> Node 0 GUID 0x00308d0120435263
> ------------------------------
> libiec61883 error: error reading oMPR
> libiec61883 error: error reading iMPR
>
> Node 1 GUID 0x0800460102903420
> ------------------------------
> oMPR n_plugs=1, data_rate=0, bcast_channel=63
> oPCR[0] online=1, bcast_connection=1, n_p2p_connections=0
>        channel=63, data_rate=0, overhead_id=15, payload=122
> iMPR n_plugs=1, data_rate=0
> iPCR[0] online=1, bcast_connection=1, n_p2p_connections=0
>        channel=63
>

> I'm not sure how to read this, but I'm guessing it's not good
> (enough).  I tried mythtv-setup again with the same results, so
> perhaps I need to find a stb and try it again.  My friend has one,
> maybe I'll move over to his house and try it there.  Thanks for the
> help, and, let me know if you have any different suggestions,
>
> Don

I was able to connect to a stb last weekend.  It got a little further
but still no eureka.  I connected to a Pace DC757X and it gave me the
following.

[root at tanson ~]# /usr/bin/plugreport
Host Adapter 0
==============

Node 0 GUID 0x00308d0120435263
------------------------------
libiec61883 error: error reading oMPR
libiec61883 error: error reading iMPR

Node 1 GUID 0x005094000003f993
------------------------------
oMPR n_plugs=1, data_rate=2, bcast_channel=0
oPCR[0] online=1, bcast_connection=0, n_p2p_connections=0
    channel=0, data_rate=0, overhead_id=0, payload=146
iMPR n_plugs=0, data_rate=2

The guid still doesn't appear on the setup screen.  The computer was not
connected to the network at the time (used my neighbors stb, but no
network in the room)...does it need to be?  Also, I was hesitant to play
with his settings, so I'm not sure if the port is enabled.  So, what's
my next move...does the above look correct?

By the way, he seemed to have a bad connection on his HDMI cable.  When
I barely touched it, the TV appeared to reconfigure (goes blank for a
few seconds, then returns with a picture).  Are these connections
usually this touchy?

Don