[mythtv-users] Mouse friendly myth?

Tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Mon Oct 26 00:28:51 UTC 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "William" <william_munson at comcast.net>
To: "Discussion about mythtv" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
Sent: Friday, October 23, 2009 11:31 PM
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Mouse friendly myth?

LuKreme wrote:
> I noticed that all the default myth GUIs are very mouse hostile, as in
> they cannot be controlled with only a mouse. At the very least, it
> appears that a mouse and an escape key are absolutely required as none
> of the GUIs I looked at let you back track up the menu tree with the
> mouse.
>
> I am used to controlling my HTPC with just a mouse and I am not ready
> to invest in an IR remote right now.
>
> So, are there any myth GUIs that are fully controllable just via a
> mouse? Including scrubbing videos, volume control, and fully accessing
> the menus both down and back up?

Actually myth is designed to suppress  the mouse completely and is mouse
hostile on purpose. Keyboard or remote or something that pretends to be
those devices are your only choices.

It does not seem to be the case, instead of "completely" it is a valid and working option to (re) enable the mouse over the GUI.

VLC handles the mouse well by hiding it after some small time period, this would also be a mythtv enhancement.

I also have come to prefer the (wireless) mouse (in frequent occasion) and having full / more mouse support would be nice.  I accept
doing volume and Mute might take some doing however GUI navigation mainly needs a "Back a Level" icon added to each screen, to
reproduce the escape key.

I recall some GUI authors prefer their work as it is, perhaps they might consider these useability comments.

Presumably some of the GUI's can be edited and enhanced these ways?  (Not sure if I have the skill to do this, (depends how it is
done in myth!) might check it out perhaps when 0.22 is stable)

While we are talking GUI I think that the principle GUI task is to present information to the user.  Having underlying graphics /
video stills underlying text makes the text harder to read - and is in my view a backwards step.  MHO.