[mythtv-users] Question about mythfilldatabase?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Oct 25 05:57:05 UTC 2009

On 10/24/2009 01:27 PM, David Yoder wrote:
> David Yoder wrote:
>> So I've written the scripts (all 20 lines of them) and am testing them.
>> The only thing that eludes me at this moment is how now to get mythtv to
>> respect the suggested grab time, since I've changed the mythfilldatabase
>> Program setting to my script. Maybe it's because I'm running an older
>> version of xmltv (it was already installed on my knoppmyth R5 dist.),
>> but the only reference I see to it is the --list-times option in the
>> tv_grab_na_dd manual, which simply reports the time to stderr. I've
>> scanned through the DD data for any reference to it, and don't see it,
>> but I could be wrong. Is there anything I need to do at this point?
>> Thanks!
> I've had a chance to let things run for a day or two, and it seems my
> fear has been realized. My grabber script, as called by mythtv through
> the mythfilldatabase Program setting, now runs every three hours. It
> appears I need to find a way to pass the suggested time from my script
> to myth. How does mythfilldatabase usually do this? Logs don't seem to
> make any mention of it, so I'm getting kind of stuck here.

You'll need to update a setting in the database.  It's the setting,
"MythFillSuggestedRunTime" and should have a format such as
"2009-10-25T19:16:30".

The best way to set it is to use the MythXML interface.  It takes care
of properly flushing the settings cache to ensure the backend uses the
value.  You can use it in a command-line script by simply sending an
HTTP request with wget or curl or whatever.

wget -O result.xml
'http://localhost:6544/Myth/PutSetting?HostName=&Key=MythFillSuggestedRunTime&Value=2009-10-25T19:16:30'

Note the blank value for HostName.  It's critical that you put that there.

Sorry I forgot to mention that in the first place.

Mike