[mythtv-users] Hardware death - CPU vs motherboard?

Chris Jones chris at mollingtonconsultants.com
Sat Oct 24 17:05:29 UTC 2009

From: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
[mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of Kawayanan
Sent: 24 October 2009 5:28 PM
To: Discussion about mythtv
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Hardware death - CPU vs motherboard?

Well, I just checked to see if I could test the PSU.  I have two others in
the house, but either my other computers are sufficiently old to be
different (very possible), or the PSU on this Asus Barebones is
non-standard.

I can't test the PSU in the way you describe because the BIOS screen never
comes up.  It never gets that far (fan spin, nothing else happens).  As for
RAM tests, again, I can't get to BIOS, let alone memtest86 (I also use
UBCD).  It had two sticks of RAM and neither one worked alone.  On top of
that, a brand new stick of RAM didn't work either.  I find it hard to
believe all are bad.

I think its PSU, motherboard, or CPU.  The problem is I have no way of
figuring out which one.  This may just be the final death of this machine...

Thanks again

I had a similar experience just last month with a Windoze PC that had
previously been running fine. Suddenly, it died, and when I tried to fire it
up, it would not get past the POST. Eventually, I took it to my local
repairer, who told me that it was the MB that was shot. I was able to
transfer the CPU (an Athlon X2) to the new MB together with some new RAM
sticks, and everything is now fine.

--

Chris Jones