[mythtv-users] A new theme on the way...

Norm Dressler mlists at dressler.ca
Fri Oct 23 16:00:10 UTC 2009

Christopher Meredith wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 10:06 AM, ryan patterson <ryan.goat at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 8:26 AM, Christopher Meredith
>> <chmeredith at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> While I was speaking mainly in terms of the Copyright Act and fair
>>> use, you bring up a good point. Not only does the DMCA forbid ripping
>>> DVDs you already own, it also forbids even *watching* them in Linux.
>>>

>> No the DMCA is very specific.  It forbids removing the encryption from
>> a DVD for the express purpose of circumventing the copyright.
>> Removing the encryption for other purposes is permitted, but not
>> defined.  Of coarse according to the MPAA, removing the encryption in
>> order to watch your DVD on anything but a authorized device (for
>> example: linux, iphone, etc.) is a copyright violation.  Most
>> consumers disagree.  This ambiguity has not been definitively defined
>> by the courts.
>>

> Sec. 1201(a)(1)(A) of the DMCA says that "[n]o person shall circumvent
> a technological measure that effectively controls access to a work
> protected under this title." It doesn't mention the purpose for which
> the circumvention is employed. Sec. 1201(a)(3)(A) defines "circumvent"
> as "to descramble a scrambled work, to decrypt an encrypted work, or
> otherwise to avoid, bypass, remove, deactivate, or impair a
> technological measure, without the authority of the copyright owner."
> Because DeCSS is not licensed or approved, it amounts to a
> circumvention of commercial DVD encryption. Under the plain language
> of the statute, the use of DeCSS (for ripping or even watching) is a
> violation of the DMCA.

I'm so glad we don't have that (yet) in Canada.  I would hope that our
lawmakers would listen to the people and enact fair-use for oneself to
be able to watch the media they purchase on any equipment they have or
will have in the future.  I do believe in it is a crime to share media
or use media/materials that you have not purchased but where you have,
why restrict us.  The last law our government tried to put in was not
what people wanted and the campaign to stop it was massive.  The law is
stalled at this point.

Norm