[mythtv-users] Can an Atom N270 1.6GHz decode SD video with yadif and scaling?

Christopher Kerr mythtv at theseekerr.com
Fri Oct 23 14:48:50 UTC 2009

> Hi,
> Anyone know if am Atom N270 1.6GHz has sufficient grunt to
> decode SD video, with yadif deinterlacing and scaling
> to 720p resolution? Or would that require some hardware
> assistance from the graphics card? Also any chance of
> a little spare CPU to also run the backend?
>
> Paul.

Not sure if you'd get away with yadif deinterlacing, but otherwise it ought
to work.

That said, you're better off paying a little more for an nVidia Ion based
system - that is, Atom + GeForce 9400, basically. Using VDPAU accelerated
playback on Myth 0.22 works excellently, with playback placing almost no
load on the CPU.

The Ion chipset also supports DDR2 800 (and potentially, though I haven't
yet seen a real motherboard which does it, DDR3 1333) which can provide a
noticable improvement over the DDR2 533 supported by the Intel 945 chipset
used with most Atoms.

That said, unless you need the small footprint provided by an Atom "nettop",
I'd recommend buying a cheap AMD chip and motherboard + a Geforce 9400 (or
the new GT 220). An Atom has so little processing power that it may actually
take more energy to run than a more powerful chip, because it takes longer
to do anything.

If you do go for an Atom, I would strongly suggest the dual core N330 to
ensure that it's up to recording+playback+commercial flagging
simultaneously.