[mythtv-users] Question about mythfilldatabase?

David Yoder dyoderatucsd at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 09:38:40 UTC 2009

Michael T. Dean wrote:
> The closest you could get to this is
>
> a) Install xmltv
> b) Set up tv_grab_na_dd
> c) Write a script that uses tv_grab_na_dd to get the "raw" (DD--don't
> have it convert to XMLTV format or it will take more processor time
> /and/ will result in your getting less useful data for each program)
> and save it somewhere (sorry, I forgot the argument that specifies
> this, but it should be available in the --help output)
> d) Change the setting, "mythfilldatabase Program" (in General settings
> of mythtv-setup in trunk or in mythfrontend settings for -fixes) to
> specify the full path to the script you wrote (and ensure the user
> running the backend has appropriate permissions to read and execute it
> and the directories leading to it).  Then, mythbackend will run your
> script instead of mythfilldatabase.
> e) Set up a cron job to run mythfilldatabase --dd-file <sourceid>
>
> Oh, and thanks for asking how to do it right rather than just setting
> up a cron job and ignoring the provider-suggested time.
>
> Mike
So I've written the scripts (all 20 lines of them) and am testing them.
The only thing that eludes me at this moment is how now to get mythtv to
respect the suggested grab time, since I've changed the mythfilldatabase
Program setting to my script. Maybe it's because I'm running an older
version of xmltv (it was already installed on my knoppmyth R5 dist.),
but the only reference I see to it is the --list-times option in the
tv_grab_na_dd manual, which simply reports the time to stderr. I've
scanned through the DD data for any reference to it, and don't see it,
but I could be wrong. Is there anything I need to do at this point? Thanks!

--David