[mythtv-users] 0.22RC1 HD-PVR SPDIF audio problems

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 00:42:23 UTC 2009

On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 6:21 PM, Ken Bass <kbass at kenbass.com> wrote:
> John P Poet wrote:
>>
>> The optional patches listed on the wiki are my best attempt at solving
>> that problem, but even they do not solve it 100% of the time.  They
>> help a lot, but I still have a 1 second sleep at the end of the
>> channel change script, just to make sure --- but I don't use LiveTV,
>> so I don't care how long the channel change takes ;-)
>>

> To be honest, I dont use LiveTV either. I am just using it now during my
> 0.22RC testing. As well as while I am testing
> my new HD-PVR.

That is what I use it for, as well

> I had looked over the Wiki HD-PVR page and there was no
> mention of adding sleep to the channel change that I could find.

Probably should be added.

> I was just very concerned that recorded programs will end up with no audio.
> There was a patch reference, but since 0.22 was listed as providing a stable
> HD-PVR experience, I assumed those patches were already rolled in.

Those patches are still pending.  They would require someone like
Daniel or Janne to review them, and both of them have had more
important things to work on.  There is even a chance that they will
never be committed.

> I'm using
> a Motorola DCT6200 STB. Maybe I should add wording about the unreliable
> audio decoding when channel changing to the Wiki so others dont run into the
> same problem.

Feel free to add to the wiki.

The problem is highly dependent on the STB.  That being said, I
believe most STBs would require that sleep for reliable operation with
0.22.  Since 0.22 requires an *external* channel change script for the
HD-PVR, it is up to the user to include it.

When the HD-PVR's irblaster works more reliably (in linux), internal
support for it may be added to Myth.  If that happens, it will be an
interesting to see how this problem is handled.

John
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?