[mythtv-users] Question about mythfilldatabase?

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 23:44:01 UTC 2009

On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 1:49 PM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> Oh, and thanks for asking how to do it right rather than just setting up a
> cron job and ignoring the provider-suggested time.

I can't use the setting where SD decides when to run mythfilldatabase,
because invariably it would choose primetime when 2 or 3 simultaneous
shows were recording.  The resulting DB accesses thrash the disk, and
since one of my storage groups is on the same disk as the DB, I would
end up with several minutes of video dropouts and a vastly reduced
WAF.

As a result, I use the setting that picks a random time within a
reasonably wide window.  Not a cron job though.  It would be really
nice if SD would take my constraints into account when it makes its
suggestion.  I would ask it to blackout the 7pm-11pm window.

Jim