[mythtv-users] A new theme on the way...

Johnny jarpublic at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 19:22:31 UTC 2009

> /me takes the book, rewrites the end because I don't think the villain
> should have died (despite it making the book awesome) and
> redistributes the book, in a less than awesome state.

Legally you can rewrite the book if you wish, it is the copying and
distribution that is not allowed, and is protected by copyright. There
are several cases recently where it was upheld that individuals were
allowed to resell promotional CDs and software despite the copyright
owner using a license that forbid such (see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vernor_v._Autodesk,_Inc.,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UMG_v._Augusto). A license can be used to
*grant* priveledges that would be otherwise forbidden by standard
copyright. That is why the creative commons and GPL grant the right to
copy and distribute (forbidden by copyright) under certain conditions.
However a license cannot be used to place restrictions on the user
that aren't granted to creator by copyright law. So if I have been
given the source to any software than I am legally allowed to alter it
and do whatever I want with it. Copyright only forbids me from
distributing it to anyone. So in this case Robert is well with in his
right to restrict how his work is copied and distributed. But as he
said if he distributes a copy to you he can't legally stop you from
doing what you want with your own copy for you personal use.