[mythtv-users] A new theme on the way...

Phill Wiggin alamar at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 18:48:36 UTC 2009

On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 2:39 PM, ryan patterson <ryan.goat at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 2:21 PM, Phill Wiggin <alamar at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Kinda like you can't (legally) hack a gaming console. Sure it's yours,
> but
> > it's not "yours".
> >

> Of coarse you can legally hack a gaming console (which you do in fact
> own 100%).  The only thing that is illegal is hacking the gaming
> console with the intent to circumvent copyright restrictions.  But if
> you want to run your own software or any copyrighted software that you
> own a license for on your hacked console you are legal.

This is _way_ OT. 'Hacking' may be legit if you're using purely legit
software, but most 'hacking' entails modified code (hacked MS Dashboard on
xboxes, etc).  Then again, the legality of 'Hacking' consoles at all is a
topic that's up for debate.  In other places, not this list.

> Back on topic, with Arclight I plan on using it the way Robert intends
> by using the proper font (which I already own a license for).
> Personally do notice a significant difference between low quality
> (free) and high quality (pay for) fonts.  Arclight is being created
> and licensed as a piece of artwork not software.  But I think it is
> correct if what happens on your hard drive (Vegas) stays on your hard
> drive, there wont be any repercussions.

Again, "I'll do what I want on my own computer" may be the route for some
people, but in my opinion it's unethical.  If the license is restrictive, we
can't just ignore it because it's inconvenient. It's the creator's
prerogative to choose how to distribute the software. We should respect him
enough to abide by his decision. Even if that respect comes in the form of
using different software.