[mythtv-users] A new theme on the way...

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 18:26:53 UTC 2009

On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 11:10 AM, Christopher Meredith
<chmeredith at gmail.com> wrote:

> No modifications really means no modification + redistribution.
> Fortunately, you can do whatever you want with your own copy. It's
> called fair use. My response to anyone who tries to tell me I can't
> make modifications of things for my own personal use: try and stop me.

Whether I can stop you-- of course I can't.  Licensing of a free
product relies on the integrity of those using the product.  If the
license isn't something you can live with, then please don't download
or use it.  Again, can I stop you?  Nope.  Does it make disregarding
the license any more ethical?  Nope.  If there is a transaction
between the author and the user, then my "payment" is respect for the
terms under which I offer your something for your use, for free.

I'm a realist, I know that I can't even stop someone modifying the
theme and anonymously uploading it somewhere-- but I rely on most
users to do the right thing in that regard.  The license
(http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/2.0/) allows you to make a
copy for a friend, but prohibits derivative works.  This is not an
unfair request to make.  It is also perfectly reasonable not to
accept/agree with the license.  That means that you may not use the
product.  Time and again we have the "nobody can prevent me from doing
anything" discussion on this list-- the reality is, you are free to
disagree with the license-- but that means you can't use the product.

Robert