[mythtv-users] A new theme on the way...

Phill Wiggin alamar at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 18:07:43 UTC 2009

On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 1:59 PM, David Brodbeck <gull at gull.us> wrote:

> Phill Wiggin wrote:
>
>> This new theme requires a for-pay ($15?) font, and due to the licensing (I
>> assume) of the theme there are no modifications allowed. E.g. No finding a
>> font that you consider "good enough" and using that.
>>
>> Maybe I'm just not a font person. As long as it doesn't look awful, I'm
>> pretty content with even the free-as-in-speech fonts.  If none of those
>> work, I'll go for free-as-in-beer.  But a font, to me, is not something
>> that's really worth paying for.
>>

> Fair enough, I guess.  We had basically the same argument on-list about
> Schedules Direct when that changeover happened, and I don't really want to
> get into the argument again about whether it's ever OK to charge for
> something related to a FOSS project.

Well, these two discussions are quite different.  The situation with SD was
one of abiding by TOSs. Namely, screenscraping wasn't allowed, the only
viable way to get listing data was SD.  I was _more_ than happy to pay for
the service. If there were a free service that offered listing data but
wasn't as full-featured, I'd consider it.

Fonts.. not so much.  There are font options out there.. many of them. Any
given one may be "good enough" for most users (in their own opinions).

I'm not really concerned with Free-as-in-speech or Free-as-in-beer. More
Free-as-in-choice. =)