[mythtv-users] A new theme on the way...

Phill Wiggin alamar at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 17:55:16 UTC 2009

On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 1:43 PM, David Brodbeck <gull at gull.us> wrote:

> Phill Wiggin wrote:
>
>> However; I, for one, won't use your theme because of the non-free font,
>> not because of the license you chose for the theme itself.  I'm no
>> cheapskate, but the longer I use Linux, the more of a 'FOSS Snob' I become.
>> But even before then, I refused to pay for fonts.
>>

> The problem is the best, most common fonts are usually not
> free-as-in-speech.  At best they're free-as-in-beer.  There are a lot of
> free novelty fonts, not so many free body fonts that look good.  That's why
> so many people end up downloading Microsoft's font pack when they install
> Linux.
>
> I think good but pedestrian-looking fonts just aren't something the FOSS
> community considers "fun," and in FOSS if it's not fun for someone it
> doesn't get done.

Yup, I don't disagree with any of your points.  But, they miss the original
focus of the conversation.

This new theme requires a for-pay ($15?) font, and due to the licensing (I
assume) of the theme there are no modifications allowed. E.g. No finding a
font that you consider "good enough" and using that.

Maybe I'm just not a font person. As long as it doesn't look awful, I'm
pretty content with even the free-as-in-speech fonts.  If none of those
work, I'll go for free-as-in-beer.  But a font, to me, is not something
that's really worth paying for.