[mythtv-users] MythTV, 1080P, NVidia, DVI to HDMI

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 17:09:22 UTC 2009

On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 10:04 AM, David Krainess
<davidkrainess at yahoo.com> wrote:

> 1.  Should I return the S1 and get a panel with a VGA input because I will have less issues?

Nah, DVI and HDMI aren't any tougher than plain jane VGA (IMHO) and
the gains outweigh any setup woes.

> 2.  If not 1., should I buy an NVidia card with HDMI out or is DVI equivalent in a MythTv system, is xorg.conf hard to work with HDMI?

Depends on what you plan for the audio.  If you hope to play the audio
through the TV, then an HDMI card might be worthwhile, but if you plan
to use an amp then it's less of a critical question and optical is
fine.  The difference in price is unlikely to be that large, some very
low price cards come with HDMI outs (and many nice onboard nVidia
solutions too).

> 3.  Any recommendation on an NVidia card model (I.E. 8500GT) for an eventual upgrade to .22 with 1080P?

For my money, a fanless 9500 or better.  This will permit you to run
VDPAU with the best deinterlacers, and have a fairly decent card if
you don't use VDPAU.

Robert