[mythtv-users] starting amp from MythTV

Enigma enigma at thedonnerparty.com
Thu Oct 22 16:51:45 UTC 2009

I run my receiver and TV from Myth.  I just have LIRC blast the codes
I need and have keys on my remote bound to functions I need.  For me,
this works much better than buying a remote that costs as much as my
frontend, and I am able to use my old Tivo peanut - which IMHO is one
of the best remote designs ever.  I don't have anything that does what
you describe as far as automatically controlling power, the closest
thing I have to that is a sleep script that shuts the TV and receiver
down after a specified amount of time.  Once you can send the IR your
flexibility is endless.  Although I do question your use case -
really, if a button on your Myth remote turns your amp on and off how
lazy do you need to be to need it to power automatically?  It seems
like a lot more work to set something like this up than it is to
simply hit "power" from your easy chair.  But to each his own.

The idea above about replacing menu items with scripts is probably
workable for powering on (starting with the watch recordings and play
music items), but you still would have the issue of not knowing if it
is safe to power off without some kind of polling. The polling
probably would not have to be very frequent, just a script running in
the background that checks the status every ten minutes or so, if the
box is on an 'active' screen then it sleeps for ten minutes and checks
again.  A combination of menu items to turn your amp on and a
background script to turn it off is probably the solution with the
least polling.