[mythtv-users] A new theme on the way...

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 14:33:57 UTC 2009

On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 7:28 AM, Jack Perveiler <perveilerj at gmail.com> wrote:

>> I am pleased to announce that after some deep soul searching, I have
>> decided that Arclight will be released using free fonts only.  It is
>> with great pleasure that unveil the free Arclight, that it might be
>> used by free peoples everywhere to pursue their free lives full of
>> free freedom.
>>
>> http://www.fecitfacta.com/fontsdontmatter.png
>>

> Although this was obviously a joke, it got me thinking that it might be fun
> to have a date-sensitive theme.  Maybe define image paths relative to a
> symbolic link and have a cron job move around that link around when
> desired.  Pumpkins for October, turkeys for November, etc.  Does the new ui
> have a concept of "include" files?  Could all font definitions be in one
> include file that could be easily changed out?

More or less, yes.  Anything defined in the base.xml is essentially
included at all times (which is why it was easy for me to make the
joke above, it was a ~10 character change-- the wonders of MythUI
inheritance!)-- but the base.xml is only reloaded at startup, so while
you could do an automated search and replace on a given day, you'd
still have to restart the frontend.  There is likely a "nicer" way to
do it programmatically.

Robert