[mythtv-users] .22RC Moving the art directories?

Nasa nasa01 at comcast.net
Thu Oct 22 10:20:47 UTC 2009

----- "Robert McNamara" <robert.mcnamara at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 8:11 AM, Johnny <jarpublic at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > The list owner has asked that we always bottom post, to keep things
> > organized. Storage groups will work fine in that setup. You just
> > define the Storage Groups on your backend, then you don't need to
> do
> > any NFS mounts on the frontends, they will stream with the mythtv
> > protocol from the backend. I guess I would be curious if you have a
> > NAS and you are mounting that on the backend, and then streaming to
> > the frontends, will the data go accross the network twice (once to
> the
> > backend and then again to the frontend) or will the frontend be
> able
> > to stream directly from the NAS?
>
> It's worth noting that yes, you can turn off your NFS mounts and set
> up storage groups and it will work as stated above-- but you will
> need
> to scan after you do this, and your metadata will be reset.  This
> isn't too big a deal as most people moving to .22 will want to take
> advantage of the new metadata sources/images.  Just have a little
> time
> blocked out to get the posters/fanart/metadata restored.  (Highlight
> an item, press W)
>
> Do please read the MythVideo .22 Transition Guide in the wiki, as it
> covers the above and more.
>
> > I just tried out a really simple program called MakeMKV. It just
> takes
> > the ISO and remuxes the video, audio, and subtitles into an MKV
> > without reencoding anything. It was quick and simple and worked
> really
> > well.
>
> Good to hear.  If you get a chance and it is very simple, feel free
> post a howto here or on the wiki.

A couple of more questions, if I may....

I have the setup Johnny described above, so I also wonder about how the network
traffic works in this scenerio...

When you say metadata - does that include seek table information (since we need
to build those for some formats of video)

As a hint: Using the same artwork directories for both storage groups and non-storage
group options would prevent redownloading previously grabbed artwork (correct?)

Can one use the move features of Jamu be used to move videos from non-storage groups to storage
groups?  If so how? (even if not -- it maybe useful to use this feature to rename ones collection in order to make reloading metadata more seamless)

Thanks

Nasa