[mythtv-users] re-recording after hard drive crash

Johnny jarpublic at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 07:10:33 UTC 2009

> Ok, I figured out that mystery.  So for anyone else that has the misfortune
> of needing to do this, the backend will do the actual deletion of your
> recordings in the background, even though the frontend shows they disappear
> immediately.  It seems that if you delete the "touched" files before it
> finishes, it will abort, and you end up with the remainder of them popping
> back up in your recording list :)  I can see them slowly disappearing by
> running "ls" in my recordings directory.

I am glad you got that sorted out. My recordings were spread out over
a few drives and so I couldn't just get rid of all my recordings when
I still had some good ones. I ended up using the find_orphans script
to produce a list of recordings that are in the database but have
missing files. Then I touched that list of files and used a playlist
to delete them. I think find_orphans is outdated now, so I didn't
trust it to actually mess with my database or files. Plus it just
deletes, it doesn't allow for rerecording.