[mythtv-users] starting amp from MythTV

Richard Morton richard.e.morton at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 22:31:24 UTC 2009

Hi

I am trying to rearrange my lounge into its final arrangement now that I
have Myth as our full time DVR.

The arrangement will be to move the AV receiver into the same cupboard as
the Myth backend/frontend, leaving just TV and speakers in the room. I
rarely use my PS2 or PS3 so the receiver stays on the TV input most of the
time and I simply turn it on and off and volume up and down.

I want to control everything from MythTV; (at the moment through a remote /
keyboard until another interface comes along). I am looking for the server
to send the correct IR signal to turn the amp on and off based on position
in Myth; if not in one of a few pages (or playback) then after a
configurable delay, the amp should be powered down. Immediately upon
entering one of these defined screens or in playback then the amplifier
should be turned on (but my preference is for this to turn off the amp if
MythMusic playback is in the background when on the main mythtv menu as this
would make it easy for the (lazy) me to turn off the amp without bothering
to stop playback - the server is left on all the time anyway)

When using the volume up and down ( [ and ] ) the appropriate IR signal
should be sent to the amp, and myth would not need to adjust the volume of
the soundcard mixer - it could be useful if F10 and F11 (i think) still
controlled the mixer volume, a further defined button would ideally also
change the input of the AV receiver (but for the reasons I outlined above,
this is lower priority).

The button layout of the remote is that each of the functions outlined has
its own defined button (power on and power off are not combined onto a
single button).

The screens I would want the amp on for are any of the ones where I can
select media that would play sound, or while

Any one done anything similar; attempted it, or know how where I can look
that can help - I have skimmed LIRC and the Wiki, but nothing jumps out at
me on how to trap the screen changes and use that to initiate LIRC without
polling the telnet interface (messy).

thanks

Thanks And Regards,

Richard Morton