[mythtv-users] The "right" way for non-dev users to test 0.22 RC1?

Bob Cunningham FlyMyPG at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 20:26:27 UTC 2009

OK, I'd like to start all over, from the top, and ask the subject question again.

I have a Fedora 11 system on a dual-Xeon Dell platform that is my main home/work/media/security/server/kitchen-sink system.  Even with everything I'm running, it is still idle most of the time, and has more than enough power to support a multi-tuner FE/BE MythTV installation.

Over the past 2 years, I have unsuccessfully struggled with v4l and mythtv, and I gave up about 4 months ago.  When the 0.22 RC1 announcement came out, I first updated and retested v4l, and now my HVR-950Q works very well pulling unencrypted SD and HD from cable.

I'd like to proceed with 0.22 RC1, and help push it toward release, but my system is "contaminated" with my prior unsuccessful mythtv experiments (manual installations, RPM install, MythDora overlay, etc.).  I've removed what I could find, and have installed 0.22 RC1 from pre-made RPMs (database won't create properly) and from source (RPM package build errors).

I'd like to start over, and see if I can find a successful path to running MythTV.  My only limitation is that my system is a working system, and I won't do an OS reinstall.

1. What should I check (or nuke) to ensure mysql, apache, and the system libraries are ready for 0.22 RC1 (or MythTV in general)?

With 0.22 RC1 being a Release Candidate, I'd prefer to work from packages, F11 RPMs in my case.

2. Are the developers in agreement that 0.22 RC1 is ready to be tested "as if" it could actually become a release?  Or is it really more of a mis-named beta?  Would you instead recommend I wait a while on 0.22, and work with 0.21-fixes instead?

TIA,

-BobC