[mythtv-users] hulu / youtube cpu requirements

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Oct 21 16:48:20 UTC 2009

On 10/21/2009 11:13 AM, jansenj wrote:
> I have an AMD 3200 which is 2Ghz.  I can play those streams, but I can't
> play them full screen.  I have a 1080p monitor, and flash must not do very
> efficient scaling either.  So I find that 2Ghz is enough to decode the
> stream, but resizing it to anything over 500 pixels high puts even my system
> over the top and the stream is choppy enough that I can't watch it.

Flash does /all/ scaling and color conversion in software, too.***  And,
because of this, it doesn't just send <video size> pixels to the GPU to
scale to the screen size, it sends <playback size> pixels to the GPU.

http://blogs.adobe.com/penguin.swf/2008/05/flash_uses_the_gpu.html

My Athlon X2 6000+ (dual-core 3GHz) x86_64 system can not do full-screen
playback of Hulu content.  Funny enough, it handles CBS's Flash-based
playback in full-screen without issue.  So, Hulu's player is either less
efficient or is doing a lot more (perhaps the bitrate/video size is
greater on Hulu).

Mike

***Which is why I would /much/ prefer Adobe's adding support for
Xv--which would work on basically any video card in existence--rather
than supporting only nvidia cards run on systems with the nvidia
proprietary drivers.