[mythtv-users] hulu / youtube cpu requirements

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Wed Oct 21 16:42:17 UTC 2009

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 11:17:50AM -0400, Johnny wrote:
> > I have an AMD 3200 which is 2Ghz.  I can play those streams, but I can't
> > play them full screen.  I have a 1080p monitor, and flash must not do very
> > efficient scaling either.  So I find that 2Ghz is enough to decode the
> > stream, but resizing it to anything over 500 pixels high puts even my system
> > over the top and the stream is choppy enough that I can't watch it.
>
> This is often an issue with the crappy implementation of Flash in
> Linux than with raw CPU power. I couldn't full screen Flash from a
> browser on my current system which is more than powerful enough. But
> Hulu desktop seems to be fine. I think it uses like a borderless
> windows versus a true full screen. Google full screen Flash in linux
> and you will see that there are lots of problems, and the generally
> aren't a CPU limitation.

    The quality of the video card and video drivers are bound to make an
impact too. I've seen this myself with various codecs with non-flash video
on various frontends. A good card can make up for a lesser CPU and vice versa.

    Just with light desktop usage it's easy to see the differences between
the various ATI and Nvidia drivers.