[mythtv-users] HDhomerun or PVR 2250

James Crow james at ultratans.com
Wed Oct 21 15:37:31 UTC 2009

Bob wrote:
> I have been using an HVR-1250 (QAM only) for 6 months without issue
> (with a 2.6.24 kernel at the time of purchase).  No driver compilation
> necessary.  My understanding is that the NTSC does not work with the
> current driver and if it did the video would be uncompressed (meaning
> mythtv would have to do the compression).  Very solid card for me.
>
> I just purchased an HVR-2250 and installed it 2 days ago.  I had to
> compile the drivers for my 2.6.28 kernel.  Again, QAM use only because
> the driver does not support NTSC currently.  One issue with the
> driver: I had to specify "card=7" for my particular card, probably
> because it is a newer model.  Other than that, it seems like a great
> card.
> Bob
>
> Michael Drons wrote:
>> I am looking to upgrade my PVR250 & PVR500 capture cards, so that I
>> can record the QAM channels.  My options are the HD Homerun or a
>> Hauppauge PVR2250 or something else (pcHDTV 5500)?   Did I miss some??
>>
>> Any comments or suggestions on which one I should get would be
>> helpful.   It appears that the support of the Hauppauge solutions
>> (1250,1600,2250) are a work in progress???
>>

>> Thanks, Mike

I have a HVR-2250 running kernel 2.6.31 and driver compilation is
necessary (maybe 2.6.32 will have the HVR-2250 driver included). I have
been doing kernel compiles since 2.0.x days so it was quite easy to me.
I think the instructions on the linuxtv.org wiki are good and can walk
most people through the compilation.

The drivers for HVR-2250 have been stable for me, but it has only been a
few weeks.

I also considered the HD Homerun, but in the end decided the possibility
of hardware MPEG2 (not currently implemented in the driver) for analog
cable was better than just QAM/ATSC. I also have a full tower case with
full ATX MB with plenty of slots. Those with smaller cases or lacking
PCI/PCIe slots may reach different conclusions.

Cheers,
James