[mythtv-users] .22RC Moving the art directories?

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 15:19:34 UTC 2009

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 8:11 AM, Johnny <jarpublic at gmail.com> wrote:

> The list owner has asked that we always bottom post, to keep things
> organized. Storage groups will work fine in that setup. You just
> define the Storage Groups on your backend, then you don't need to do
> any NFS mounts on the frontends, they will stream with the mythtv
> protocol from the backend. I guess I would be curious if you have a
> NAS and you are mounting that on the backend, and then streaming to
> the frontends, will the data go accross the network twice (once to the
> backend and then again to the frontend) or will the frontend be able
> to stream directly from the NAS?

It's worth noting that yes, you can turn off your NFS mounts and set
up storage groups and it will work as stated above-- but you will need
to scan after you do this, and your metadata will be reset.  This
isn't too big a deal as most people moving to .22 will want to take
advantage of the new metadata sources/images.  Just have a little time
blocked out to get the posters/fanart/metadata restored.  (Highlight
an item, press W)

Do please read the MythVideo .22 Transition Guide in the wiki, as it
covers the above and more.

> I just tried out a really simple program called MakeMKV. It just takes
> the ISO and remuxes the video, audio, and subtitles into an MKV
> without reencoding anything. It was quick and simple and worked really
> well.

Good to hear.  If you get a chance and it is very simple, feel free to
post a howto here or on the wiki.

Robert